The Hector Berlioz Website
Berlioz Photo Album : 1850 – 1859
Unless otherwise stated all pictures on Berlioz Photos pages have been scanned from engravings, paintings, postcards and other publications in our own collection. All rights of reproduction reserved.
Berlioz’s photos and portraits
1850 – portrait by Gustave Courbet
This portrait is in the Musée
d’Orsay in Paris.
A reproduction of the 1850 portrait as appeared in Livre du Centenaire du Journal des Débats,
published in 1889.
The above painting, after Courbet, has been scanned from the
frontispiece of a book entitled Berlioz, published by
Pierre Lafitte & Cie in 1914 in “Les Grands Hommes
Collection” series under the patronage of Jules Claretie of the
At the time that the above postcard was published the
original portrait was in the collections of the Louvre Museum (1921-1986);
since 1986 it has been kept in the Musée d’Orsay.
Postcard inspired by Courbet’s portrait of Berlioz
The above card was posted on 7 September 1904 in Montevideo,
The above card was posted in France in 1907 to an address in
1851 – Baugniet (drawing)/Guillet (lithograph)
This engraving is reproduced from a 19th century book in our collection.
The portrait was drawn by Charles Baugniet during Berlioz’s second visit to London
as a member of the international commission
examining musical instruments at the Great
Exhibition. A copy of the lithograph is in the Musée Hector Berlioz.
This copy of the 1851 lithograph carries a dedication by Berlioz
to John Ella, the founder and director of the Musical Union in London and a close
Berlioz. The musical notes are from one of Berlioz’s songs from the Neuf
mélodies – Irlande collection, Adieu
Bessy ; Berlioz has changed the original wording Adieu, Bessy to Fare – well Ella
Farewell. The first signature on
the lithograph is a facsimile of Berlioz’s signature, but the dedication and the
signature beneath it are in his own hand. The original copy of this lithograph is in the
Bibliothèque Nationale de France, to whom we are most grateful.
1852 – Plaster bas-relief
by Anthony Samuel Adam-Salomon
The original plaster is in the collection of Madame Reboul-Berlioz.
This picture is from a lithograph drawn by
Charles Baugniet in 1853, during Berlioz’s fourth visit to London to
stage his Benvenuto Cellini at the
Opera in Covent
Garden. The lithograph is a
group picture, showing Berlioz with a number of English and foreign
musicians in London at the time.
We are most grateful to Mike Joyce for sending us a photograph taken by him from an original copy of the engraving.
This photograph is said to be taken in Baden Baden in 1853. The original once
belonged to the head of Schott’s in Brussels but today is lost. All surviving
reproductions show a photographic copy that once belonged to Adolphe Boschot and
is now in the Musée Hector Berlioz in La Côte
The original copy of this photograph belongs to Mr Don
Gibson who has kindly sent us a facsimile which we scanned for this page. We
are most grateful to Mr Gibson.
April 1854 – photograph by Mayer frères
The above postcard was published in 1989.
This originally black and white photo has
been coloured using the chromolithography technique.
1854 – Silhouette of Berlioz
This silhouette is said to have been drawn at a rehearsal in the
court theatre of Dresden on 28 April 1854. A copy of this drawing is in the Bibliothèque
nationale de France,
1855, by Richard Lauchert
The portrait, reproduced on our postcard, was painted in
February 1855 when Berlioz was on one of visits to Weimar.
The original portrait is in the “Liszt-Haus” in Weimar; a
reproduction is on display in the Musée Hector Berlioz in La Côte
The above postcard was published by the Musée Hector Berlioz.
1856 – after a photograph taken in Paris
The above engraving was published by G Havard in Paris.
The above image, dated 1856, has been scanned from Adolphe Jullien’s
biography of Berlioz, Hector Berlioz, sa vie et ses œuvres (Paris,
January 1857 – photograph by Nadar
The above photo based on the original cliché by Félix
Nadar was issued in 80 numbered copies in 1978 by the Caisse Nationale des
Monuments Historiques et des Sites, Paris. Our copy is No. 30.
The above engraving was published in L’Illustration, Journal
Universel, some time after 1863. The article accompanying the engravings
is an overview of some of Berlioz’s major works, including Les
Troyens, the last three acts of which had been performed in mutilated
form at the Théâtre
Lyrique in November 1863.
Painting by Honoré Daumier
This postcard was published around 1910.
© (unless otherwise stated) Monir Tayeb and
Michel Austin for all the texts and images on Berlioz Photo Album pages.
All rights of reproduction reserved.
Photo Album main page