The Hector Berlioz Website

Berlioz in Grenoble

Rue Hector Berlioz

This page is also available in French

    Rue Hector Berlioz is a relatively short street; it runs roughly in parallel with the Isère River nearby, from the Place Saint-André along the fence of what used to be the Hôtel de Ville (Town Hall). 

    This road, previously called Rue du Quai, was named after Berlioz by decision of the Conseil Municipal on 14 March 1883. We are grateful to M. Eric Lombard for this information.

Rue Hector Berlioz in pictures

All the modern photos reproduced on this page were taken by Michel Austin in August 2009; unless otherwise stated other pictures have been scanned from postcards in our own collection. © Monir Tayeb and Michel Austin. All rights of reproduction reserved.

1. Rue Hector Berlioz in times past

Grenoble c. 1850
Grenoble 1850

(Large view)

The above engraving is part of a large map of the railway between St Rambert and Grenoble when the service became operational in 1858. On the right is the Rue du Quai and the wall of the Jardin de Ville (City Park), behind which the former Town Hall was located.

We are grateful to M. Eric Lombard for sending us the above image and its description.

Place Saint-André
Place Saint-André

(Large view)

The building to the left of the statue of Bayard is the Palais de Justice.

 Rue Hector Berlioz and the tower of the Town Hall
Town Hall

(Large view)

This mediaeval building was built by Pierre La Cuisse in 1602 on the instructions of François de Bonne des Diguières; it was used as the Town Hall from 1719 to 1967.

Town Hall

(Large view)

Rue Hector Berlioz and the Town Hall
Town Hall

(Large view)

The road on the left of the picture behind the fence is Rue Hector Berlioz.

The Town Hall
Town Hall

(Large view)

The Isère River and the Church of Saint-André
The Isère

(Large view)

The Rue Hector Berlioz ends behind the arch. This card was posted in January 1951.

2. Rue Hector Berlioz in our time

Rue Hector Berlioz
Place Saint-André – Palais de Justice
Place Saint-André

(Large view)

Place Saint-André
Place Saint-André

(Large view)

The road off the Place at the back of the picture is Rue Hector Berlioz (see next photo).

Rue Hector Berlioz
Rue Hector Berlioz

(Large view)

This is the start of the Rue Hector Berlioz from the Place Saint-André.

Rue Hector Berlioz
Rue Hector Berlioz

(Large view)

The building on the left is the Hôtel du Duc de Lesdiguières, which used to be the Town Hall until 1967.

Tower of the Hôtel du Duc de Lesdiguières
Hôtel du Duc de Lesdiguières

(Large view)

Information notice on the wall of
the Hôtel du Duc de Lesdiguières
Hôtel du Duc de Lesdiguières

(Large view)

Rue Hector Berlioz
Rue Hector Berlioz

(Large view)

A few yards from this point Rue Hector Berlioz ends near the Téléphérique station on the main road on the bank of the Isère (next photo).

The Isère and the Téléphérique de la Bastille departure station
with the Church of Saint-André behind
Téléphérique

(Large view)

Téléphérique cars on their way to the
fortifications on the hill across the river
Téléphérique

(Large view)

The Hector Berlioz Website was created by Monir Tayeb and Michel Austin on 18 July 1997;
Berlioz in Grenoble page created on 11 December 2008; this page created on 6 December 2009.

© Monir Tayeb and Michel Austin for all the pictures and information on this page.

Copyright notice: The texts, photos, images and musical scores on all pages of this site are covered by UK Law and International Law. All rights of publication or reproduction of this material in any form, including Web page use, are reserved. Their use without our explicit permission is illegal. 

Back to Berlioz in Grenoble main page