The text on the commemorative plaque reads: On this spot stood since 1840 the Hoftheater, later called Landestheater, which was built by Gustav Eberhard, the court director of works, following plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was destroyed by fire on 3 April 1945 as a result of the war. Although it had been decided to rebuild the theatre its ruins were destroyed with explosives in August 1958. Between 1965 and 1998 a skyscraper stood in this place. This memorial stone, made from one of the original blocks of the theatre, was founded in 2001 by the Society for urban history and the preservation of the old city.
Back to Berlioz in Gotha main page